Monday, March 4, 2013

today is my day off

We landed on Friday morning after an 8+ hour flight. For the week leading up to this, there were loose ends to tie up, work to leave, going away parties to attend, and favorite restaurants to patronize. Prior to that, there was packing to do, thank-yous to write from the wedding (oh, did I mention, my wedding was a month and a half ago?!) and travel plans to finalize.

Since arriving, hubby and I have gotten a significant amount of our task list completed. For example, within two hours of landing, I got my ID card (and considering the fact that my body thought it was 3am, I really like my picture). Later that day we picked up our mail, signed up to take the German driving test (which I need to study for), got German numbers and access for our cell phones, visited our friend's apartment, and checked into our hotel. It wasn't until around 3pm that we finally stopped to nap and when we woke up we went out to dinner with some new friends. Was there beer? Yes. Schnitzel? Absolutely. Spundekas? Uh, yes and how terribly delicious as a dip for the pretzels. (For the schnitzel, I got the beer/brown sauce and hubby got a Gorgonzola cheese sauce). Amazing - and then we went to sleep again.

On Saturday we slept until around 11am and ever since, we've beaten jet lag. I think the key for us was to power through the first day until nap time and since we were still tired, we were able to sleep that night as well. Anyway, on Saturday we missed breakfast at the hotel so we rolled out of bed and out into the city center of Mainz in search of lunch and to get data access for our phones. (Since here it's much more prevalent to have prepaid plans versus traditional plans, all we had to do was go to a store and buy the little cards and then add them online.) We stumbled upon the open air market, full of fruits, veggies, cheeses and bread, apple cider, everything. We ended up nibbling on quick service pizza.

Around that time we met up with our friends who traveled with us across the river to Wiesbaden, a similar yet sleepier city to see the apartment of a co-worker who was leaving soon. We also walked around Wiesbaden, got some cappuccinos and waffles (with nutella, mmm!) as an afternoon snack, and then drove over to the commissary for a quick look around. Soon it was time for dinner when we met up with yet more people we know and had some delicious flatbread pizza-type things.

Yes, I realize that's pizza twice in one day and that I now live in Germany - but aside from the schnitzel, pizza will probably always be my favorite food. The tummy wants what the tummy wants.

Sunday - hubby and I finally get a chance to eat the (included) hotel breakfast. It's stupidly good. I don't think I can recall all the items they have but I'll try - pancakes, porridge, eggroll-type things, mini omelettes, beans in tomato sauce, meatballs, two kinds of sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, cereals and granola, four kinds of yogurt, rice pudding, huge variety of fruit, cold cuts, an assortment of cheeses, an endless amount of breads, pastries (hello chocolate croissants!), mini smoothies and fruit compote, juices, sparkling and still water...

As I said, stupidly good.

What did we do the rest of the day Sunday? Oh, just hiked 13 kilometers! This equates to approximately 8+ miles. We go big or go home - considering I've never been on an actual hike, I think I did quite well. (I think exercise like this will be essential looking back on the meal options in the country) It was pretty cold without the sunshine, and unfortunately pretty muddy (not super for the only sneakers I have for now), but who gets to hike along the hills adjacent to the Rhine river?


It's going to be super pretty when the green returns (and the mud goes away), and the vineyards have grapes on them.




Sorry these aren't edited as nicely as I'd like; when I have my better computer setup going they'll look even better.

But getting back to the title of this - It is the first day I've been on my own and allowed to do what I want.  I've been really busy. It's been insane to leave and arrive and to just be around so many people, let alone push my brain to learn key phrases (I'd like this beer, please). I love hanging out with everyone but am definitely the kind of person that re-charges when it's just me. 

Today I get to hang out in the hotel room, start this blog, order room service for lunch, and lounge in pjs and terry cloth robe. I may or may not wash my hair. We won't be getting fresh towels today because I am not leaving until hubby gets here, gets home.

Today is my day off.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting, Kim!!! I'm looking forward to "tagging along" with you on your new life adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read along! :) We sure do miss you though! Find a studio over there! (I'm sure it'll involve learning some more specialized vocabulary)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I didn't know you were moving to Germany. Now I might have to get my passport and might have to travel over there just to see you. Plus would be super cool to take a trip outside of the country! lol

    ReplyDelete