Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I've been sick...

I usually don't get sick, I swear. Last Thursday I started feeling icky after being at the gym (dangerous places, those gyms!) and began with a sore throat, then got the congestion, sinus headache - the whole deal. Bleh.

I've been feeling slovenly since I haven't been up to going back to the gym, or doing any Rosetta Stone, or really doing much of anything but laying around like a slug. Luckily I'm finally starting to feel better, and hope to be back at 100% in the next few days.

Also (and here's the princess in me coming out), it's hard to be sick when you're living in a hotel. I mean, at home you could lay around all day and not have anyone interrupt you but here, you kinda have to leave the room so they can clean it and bring you more tissues and tea. There are plenty of couches to hang out on in the building, but still - nothing beats a bed with the windows closed when you're constantly blowing your nose. Another thing that's difficult is wanting medicine on a Sunday, because nothing is open.

Since we don't have any food, we have had to eat out everyday - another thing that you don't want to do when you're sick. Not only do you not want to infect your table mates, you also don't want to try to speak in another language with a stuffy nose. Pretty difficult. We did go to a Chinese restaurant one night though and I got to have soup so that was welcome. Mmm, soup.

I managed to get a few things completed though - I found a great looking German language course to take during August. Why so late? Well, the course is in the mornings for 5 days a week for 5 weeks, and August is the earliest I can commit to being here for 5 weeks uninterrupted. I'm flying to speak at a conference in April, hopefully moving into an apartment either immediately before or immediately after, and I just booked my ticket in June/July for my friends wedding where I will fulfill my bridesmaid duties with pride.

Side note: since I'm married, does that make me a brides matron? Because it sound like I aged 25 years...

So yes, August for some hardcore German-learning. The plan from there is to start grad school in the Fall, so that's next on the agenda to get squared away. I also got a great travel book I've been reading, so that will come in handy as I plan our trips.

Maybe today while they're cleaning the room, I can concentrate on reading more of my travel book and writing some wedding vendor reviews :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment