Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rhine River Walk

While our hotel room doesn't face the Rhine, the restaurant where we eat our breakfast each morning does. On Tuesday, it was shimmering and bright outside and, after my self-proclaimed day off on Monday, I decided some fresh air was in order.

The hotel is situated right next to the Theodor-Heuss-Brucke (a bridge) that links Mainz and Wiesbaden together. After exiting the hotel I first turned north to get a few pictures:



The bridge is both a pedestrian walkway and a main artery for traffic. Haven't crossed it yet on foot, but will probably do that fairly soon.


























Then I decided to turn south, where there are some really nice walking paths along the river, and even a few little play areas for kids.




























Eventually I came to another bridge, this time for a railroad. I decided to get some more pictures up there... and it was pretty high, so I hope you enjoy them:





























It was flipping scary up there! Since it's also a pedestrian bridge, there were people jogging and walking along this narrow area with a rail that was barely to my chest. I totally could have walked across and gotten some better photos, but I felt much safer just inching out to get those and getting the heck out of there. Perhaps another time. I was off the bridge and on my way back when a very loud train went by... so glad I wasn't still up there.

Even though this is where I turned around, sometime soon I'll have to venture past this bridge because just beyond that there is a Volkspark (park) that is sure to be a good time in nice weather.

Clocked from the hotel and back, the walk was 4km round trip, so I managed to squeeze in about 3 miles if you count my initial trip in the opposite direction. While not bad, I'm going to have to get some better exercise options going if I want to continue eating all this yummy food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment