Even in my tiny kitchen (which is deceptively spacious with floor to ceiling windows and the open floor plan), I can make delicious things to eat. Our grocery store is stocked with tons of amazing things that are easy to prepare/already prepared, and you don't have to know a lot of German. I really like going to grocery stores in other countries and seeing what they have. When we were in Italy last year I stumbled upon some shelf stable gelato that I packed away and stuck in the freezer when we got back home. It was SO good! We also got some chocolate biscuits that I have yet to find again.... but I will!
Using Google translate or just looking at the pictures on containers, you can get an idea of what to do. Yogurt is easy, and they're really good. Here are two of my favorites: one is banana with chocolate flakes, and the other is Greek (which isn't dense like in the US, it's light and airy) with some kind of crunchy topping.
It's obvious what this is, a chocolate roll/bread/croissant (oh yum).
And these make me laugh, because not only are they "Chicken Nuggets" but they are also "Western Style" which apparently means they are super spicy (and Germans have a skewed idea of spicy.... to them, it's more like our mild). I especially like the picture of the cowboy, in case you still weren't getting "Western" from this.
Silly. Hubby likes these granola bars, more chocolate obviously:
And these are really easy and yummy for lunch. Far and above better than any cup of noodles situation, their sauces and pasta are actually tasty, and the flavors are great. Here are broccoli and cheese sauce, and then mushroom cream sauce. I've also had the ham and cream sauce, and herb and cream sauce. Just add hot water, stir, and wait 5 minutes.
Some things, however, are not as easy to figure out.... like these, which are actually potato patties, and quite tasty. We had them last night for dinner with a little pasta sauce on the side. Mostly potato with onion and herbs. Just found the Wikipedia page too.
Tasty turkey meatballs. "Puten" is turkey.
Then we are also fans of these - chicken schnitzels, when you've just had enough of the pork version. We pair it with the sauce below (herb and cream sauce). Really easy and really tasty.
Finally, here is a shot of my first attempt at making spundekas. It didn't come out as pinky-red as you'd find in the restaurants, and I played with one of the (easier) recipes I found, but hubby said it was tasty and that he'd eat it again. That's good news, since we still have plenty of it!
So that's what the hubby and I have been munching on lately. Just wanted to let you all know that we're not really starving, and despite some of this stuff being not so great for you, we're also eating salad and fresh farm-grown veggies.
Alright - I'm off now to do some cleaning, maybe moving some boxes down to the garage, and continuing to work on our honeymoon itinerary. Oh and learning German. I found a cool YouTube channel with lessons which are a little more basic than Rosetta Stone (and actually teach you grammar rules). I also found some vocabulary worksheets I've been reading. I WILL learn this language!










No comments:
Post a Comment