Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekend Update

Hubby and I had quite the busy weekend. It started on Friday night when we went to the Mainz Wine Fest down by the river to meetup with some of the English speakers and have some dinner. We shared a beef noodle bowl, a flammkuchen, a bratwurst, and then we each got a chocolate croissant. Oh, and had wine.

Saturday morning we got up really early in order to cook (cook!) breakfast - I made ham, egg and cheese burritos. The highlight was the Irish cheddar I found, mmm! Next, we were heading to Ikea, and it's best to get there right when they open so as to avoid a crushing crowd of home-improving Germans out to spend the entire day there.

We were successful in purchasing the following: a kitchen island, a bench for the main bathroom (to put next to the sauna, of course!), a rack for the main bathroom, the other light for the main bathroom, and a larger tower that looks best in the upstairs bathroom:



Hubby was on a roll with these, and that was after we went to the commissary and even made a frozen pizza for lunch. We had every intention of returning to the wine fest, but we were getting a little tired from the Ikea-filled day and the sheer volume of things still to do in the apartment.



Anyway, on Sunday, we got to pick back up our tradition of making blueberry muffins and watching an episode of Star Trek. After being lazy for a bit, we got dressed and went down to the wine fest again. We both wanted more of these noodle things - I cannot convey how delicious they were - they were made in a huge wok and then they put creamy garlic sauce on top, and they had hot pepper oil to drizzle. Oh my goodness.




Not a bad view, right?




























After this course we made our way over to another stand where we wanted to try this wine spritzer thing, which is essentially half a tall glass of wine filled the rest of the way with sparkling water. Hubby went for a drier wine while I went for the Riesling. The Riesling was the clear winner... I also eventually got some french fries.

Here's me next to the river! Perfect weather. I wasn't kidding about the large glass.



After enjoying the weather at the fest, we decided to go back home and hang out on the balcony. I enjoyed hanging out on the lounge while Hubby had a beer:

































Later we went in to prepare dinner (beef tacos for Cinco de Mayo and margaritas!) and even met our neighbors next to us.

Hope everyone else had fun weekends too!

No comments:

Post a Comment