Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How the Germans Stay Fit.

I did prepare a terribly clever video about this topic but for some reason Google wouldn't let me upload it. Sigh. I will have to type it out.

The short answer to how the Germans stay so fit? The kitchen.

I've been using mine for almost a week now and there are some shortcomings... 

1) We don't have a microwave. I don't totally miss it yet, but during the unpacking I found two of those Betty Crocker warm delights dessert things that you mix up and microwave for a warm chocolate treat. The Germans just don't have the temptation of instant food.

Warm chocolate desserts are useless for me now... if I want something hot, I have to crank on the oven.

2) Or the stove top, which is unbelievably slow at everything. I think the Germans give up at some point and just crack open a beer.

3) The size of my sink. If the Germans get past the cooking phase, the cleanup phase is most certainly irritating. The sink is the size of a bathroom sink, if that. I'm dreading the day when I have to clean my big oval pot after making chili! (Mmm, chili....). At least my Mom got me some sweet Crock Pot liners so I don't have to worry about that giant mess. I think the Germans purposely have small meals so they don't have to fight with large pots and pans in a small sink.

4) Lack of preservatives in foods. The fridges here are small for a reason: the food goes bad soon, so you don't have massive trips to the store to stock up on anything. Go to the store, cook, repeat a few days later.

On the plus side, the tomatoes we got this week are wonderful and remind me of my Dad's home-grown version. The milk is delicious as well. All the food is tasty, really, and so people don't need to eat two portions to enjoy it - one is plenty.

So there you have it. Germans are lean, mean, beer and wine drinking machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment