Wednesday, February 12, 2014

It's always busy here.

You think winter is a time for relaxing, kicking back with hot chocolate or tea and catching up on Netflix?

Wrong! We don't even have any snow!

Just because we aren't traveling or actively preparing for trips doesn't mean anything. We are constantly juggling the preparation for those upcoming trips for the next several months, checking and double checking prices for plane, train, and hotel tickets, dreaming up fun things to do when people visit, and scheduling upcoming events around the region. Next up? Fastnacht, which is essentially a crazy Halloween-style Carnival, the largest one being right here in Mainz. Think dressing up in outlandish costumes, parades, drinking nonstop, all over multiple days.

All the planning is actually pretty stressful.

More importantly, we're also trying to work out. Because when we go do something fun, it almost always involves something incredibly delicious to eat and drink. And I don't know about you, but I can't eat everything I want and still have all my clothes fit.

Well... that's not totally true... they'll fit, but they won't fit well and I'll be uncomfortable. Thus, working out is the answer. I haven't made it to the gym in a long time though, mostly because I despise the gym. It's too boring for me. Instead, I signed up for a free trial of online classes and ordered a super cool workout DVD that my DC yoga instructor (and others) have raved about. That should get here soon. I don't know how they do it, but the bulk of Germans you see walking around are terribly fit. It boggles my mind.

Staying in shape is incredibly difficult when traveling but also just living here, as Germany produces half a bazillion kinds of bread, not to mention filling beers. Also, the potatoes are incredibly delicious. We try our best to just not buy the bread, but we certainly can't escape it if we're out to dinner. I was pleased to get my food processor/blender combo contraption a few weeks ago, though. So far I've made homemade hummus and next I'm going to try baked falafel. We've also experimented with a ground beef and mushroom combo for burgers to up our veggie intake. (The results have been surprisingly tasty).

It slices, it dices, it does it all.
 Hummus! Next time I'll use less lemon.

Oh - and I'm also doing all those "normal" everyday things like house work and homework. The dust bunnies are forming an army as I type. Unfortunately sometimes I have to spend more time doing homework depending on the assignment which leaves precious little time for anything else. I can only assume other people in my program who have full time jobs and tons of family obligations are either really fast readers or are doing really poor work. This degree is a full-time job.

On the plus side, our dinosaurs are keeping well-dressed thanks to new outfits sent to us:
Alright - back to the grind. Everyone enjoy watching gentle (or not-so-gentle) snowflakes fall in the U.S. We'll look out the windows here at the gray sky and dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment