Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Tasty treats!

I've really been trying to experiment in the kitchen lately. Here is what I've accomplished:

Oreo Cheesecake Bars.
Recipe/Inspiration: Pinned from Annie's Eats. Hubby has an addiction to chocolate, Oreos, and cheesecake, so this was a definite do-try.

End result:

Verdict: Loved by all, especially hubby. Will definitely make again. Everything basically came out really well, but for next time I'm hoping to have a new food processor/blender thing. The one we have now was a hand-me-down and the blade underneath is plastic and broken. Not conducive to pulsing Oreo cookies.

Taco Soup.
Recipe/Inspiration: Pinned from High Heels & Grills. I was looking for something easy to make in case I didn't feel like running down to the grocery store (half a block is soooo far sometimes!) but could keep the ingredients around since they are shelf stable. The recipe called for canned chicken (ew) and chicken stock - I omitted the chicken altogether and the Commissary was out of stock so I found some chicken bouillon powder at the grocery store, which worked out well.

End result:

Verdict: Ridiculously simple. I couldn't get enough. Hubby didn't find it too thrilling. He's boring - more for me. I still have two big bowls in the freezer - I can't wait until a super chilly day to have it for lunch. I will absolutely make it again for myself since all the ingredients are cheap and it makes enough for me to eat it every day for lunch for a week. Filling, too!

Baked Eggs.
Recipe/Inspiration: Pinned from Use Real Butter. I'm always a fan of eggs, and having a recipe that requires that I plop some ingredients in a bowl and stuff into the oven sounded really great. I didn't have any bacon as is called for in the recipe, but I did chip up some ham.

End result:

Verdict: I over-cooked these, but they still tasted really, really good. I was surprised at how filling two eggs were with a little ham and cheese. I'll try it again, and this time use hubby as a guinea pig, and serve it with some bread on the side, or maybe some hot sauce. Once I get it down, I'll serve it as a brunch dish.

Macaroni and Cheese.
Recipe/Inspiration: Pinned from The Comfort of Cooking. I definitely didn't follow most of this recipe, because it was my first time making my own cheese sauce, so I wanted to keep it simple. I did add some broccoli to the final product, though.

End result:

Verdict: The roux got away from me a little at the beginning, but I remained patient and it worked itself out. My problem was I didn't have strong cheese in this - I had mild cheddar and a German Swiss cheese blend. Next time I'll need something stronger - like a sharp cheddar, Gouda, and maybe even some blue cheese thrown in. I'd love to go a step further and do some kind of buffalo chicken macaroni with a hot sauce/blue cheese sauce.

Next challenge: Flemish Beef Stew. Hubby really enjoyed this in Brussels and we have a lot of beer we could add to a recipe.

Still hungry? Check out my Nom Nom Recipes page on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment