Our Labor Day weekend got off to an early start by hitting the Mainz Weinmarkt on Thursday evening. It's the largest wine fest in Mainz and it's held in the Rose Garden on the southern side of the city. (We live more north of the center, so it was a hearty walk.)
Thursday night the weather was gorgeous and hubby and I noticed from their website there was a stand that served black riesling, or Schwarzriesling. Luckily in a sea of wine stands, I sighted it on our walk inside.
Delicious. Hubby got a plate of fire sausage (spicy sausage) so he ate that and proceeded to ruin the taste of his wine with the burning. Here's a shot from our table and the remains of his meal:
I got hungry next, especially as our group started ordering bottles of wine for our table, so I went for the potato patties with applesauce. Oh wow... I'll have to get that again!
As the evening wound to a close, we found a cake stand and had some sweets.
On Friday hubby got a few hours off of work for the holiday so we hit the fest again, this time hopeful to find some flammkuchen and pan-fried noodles. We walked up this giant hill in the park where they had even more live music and stands and found a super delicious flammkuchen place. Alas though - by the time we walked up to the booth where they had the giant woks for noodles, they had stopped serving for the night. Bummer.
We still got cake though, again. A bunch of different kinds than the night before, too!
Saturday was lazy and rainy. Hubby and I walked to the store to purchase speakers for my computer so I wouldn't have to work with headphones on, so that was nice. We watched silly movies and ate frozen pizza.
On Sunday our friends wanted to go somewhere, so we went with them to a town called Saint Martin that was supposed to be pretty. And it was. Even the cemetery.
Since it was a Sunday it was pretty quiet but we managed to find a place for lunch and it was super tasty. We explored the church next and on our way out, an older gentlemen started chastising us for something, but we didn't know what he was saying... there were not as many English speakers like we're used to in Mainz, so we were a little lost. We kept walking around and stumbled upon a small weinschorle fest they were having that weekend. Weinschorle, one of my most favorite things! In line, another German started speaking to hubby and further hilarity ensued, because we were already not doing well with our language divide. Didn't matter - we got our weinschorle in cool glasses and for fairly cheap.
After hanging out there for awhile with our half litre of weinschorle, we got another round for the road (the driver excepted) and headed back so we could go back to the Mainz fest.
Here are hubby and my glasses in the backseat. Quite challenging not to spill as you're driving down the autobahn as fast as our driver could get his caddy to go.
After a quick few sips of coffee and some water for hubby (who had twice as much weinschorle as I did), we headed back to the fest.
Happy day! I got some more potato pancakes:
Since we closed down the place, we didn't get our customary end of evening cake, but the boys did get an incredibly juicy, onion-y meat sandwich, which was perfect for the chilly walk back home.
Monday. Me, hubby and our friend headed to Limburg to a fairly large store, H.G. Spranz, to buy our lederhosen and dirndl for Oktoberfest.
This was super fun. The salesperson didn't speak much English but was incredibly patient and sweet, and so much easier to work with than anyone we had encountered in Saint Martin.
HOW CUTE IS MY HUSBAND?!
They had so many gorgeous dirndls to choose....
I had originally gone into this thinking that I wanted a burgundy one, or a navy or something dark. Some weren't available in my size (which in dresses in Germany, is apparently a 38) so I tried on three different brighter colors.
In traditional Kim fashion, I went with the first one I tried on.
It's so cute. The detailing has little strawberries all over the bodice, and the colors match up perfectly with it. The greens and reds don't match hubby's shirts at all, but that's okay. We got to use our VAT form which saved us tons of Euros - these things aren't cheap but they last a long time.
And people - there are POCKETS. Gosh I love me some pockets in dresses. Just ask the bridesmaids for my wedding.
So that's it - a really busy adventurous filled weekend. Now on to get started in my first grad school class...









.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment