Friday, October 24, 2014

My mini U.S. tour

Washington, DC --> Myrtle Beach --> Dallas & Austin. What a whirlwind. We came, we visited, and we ate. Then we ate some more.

Matt and I were constantly busy, me more so than him, since of course I was still plugging away on paper writing. It was exhausting but super to see so many friends and family.

When in DC, one goes to Nooshi for honey peanut chicken (and thai iced tea, and a mai tai, which, after testing several, I've determined Europe doesn't do very well).

Nooshi nights often end in Pinkberry. I'm so glad our friends came to this, I haven't laughed that hard in ages!
We also had an obligatory stop at Quarry House Tavern in Silver Spring. It boasts a wonderful beer menu with lots of European favorites, plus something we couldn't get overseas - Pumpkin Ale :-)
Half price burgers + tater tots?! A totally winning Monday evening.
In Myrtle Beach we hit up a fancy grocery store and were pleased to see so many products we had in Europe! They even had this olive oil from an Italian castle THAT WE TOTALLY VISITED!! So very cool.
Also, we went mini golfing, because that's what you do in Myrtle Beach.
To travel around Texas, we got ourselves this beast of a rental car, the Kia Soul. We got soo many looks on the road!
We had our share of Tex-Mex, like this delicious chicken burrito. Mmm.....
In Austin we ended up at a restaurant I've actually been before. So, because I'm me, I ordered the same thing I ate before (because it was so delicious the first time around). Cornbread fried chicken tender salad with honey mustard dressing.
While we were in Austin, we visited the Texas state history museum.
They're quite proud of their history.



Woo hoo, Germans!


On Matt's must-do list was eating at the Salt Lick, which is the best BBQ place on the planet.
We ordered family style - so we got a huge plate of everything - just look at that meat plate piled high with ribs, sausage and brisket!! And you could order more of anything (which we did)
I barely got this picture taken before shoveling all this in my mouth.
Matt was totally annoyed when I took this photo before we could try the chocolate chip pecan pie.
Here's us at the Salt Lick, post food-shoveling.
We were so excited to see our friends Charlie and Hillary in Austin (and little Oswyn! She's new, like only several weeks new) - and equally excited when we all got to go eat sublimely delicious tacos for brunch.
Back in Dallas, we hit up the Texas State Fair, one of the closest things we could get to a German-style festival.

There was also a car show! Certainly not the size of the Frankfurt Auto Show, but still fun to mull around.



Texas robot.
Big Tex! An icon of the fair.
Matt did a few test drives with Chevy. I don't know what this face is supposed to mean.
We really got stuck with yellow cars this trip.
This. Was. The. Best. Corndog. Of. My. Life. I'm glad we kept walking after we ate it, otherwise I would have gotten two more.
State Fairs = BUTTER SCULPTURES!!
OF PONIES!!!
 More Big Tex....
I cannot describe the excitement that Matt and I shared when we came upon these SAUNAS that you can have in your home. We loved our sauna in Germany, so this is definitely on the list for when we have a house or something. Very exciting.
The food court area did not disappoint - full of fried food and more fried food.
Not sure why there was a place to buy fruit, though. It wasn't even fried.
These pickles were, though!
Hehe, live Beeeees! We did not investigate further.

Red Velvet funnel cake? Don't mind if I do...
There was powdered sugar everywhere....
A day after the fried-fest, Matt and I hit up Whataburger, which has one of my most favorite sandwiches I've ever had - their Patty Melt just melts my heart (and clogs my arteries). So good.
Soon though, it was time to head to the airport. This little guy wanted to join us, and did for a few miles, but we decided since he didn't have an ID, we'd drop him off in a parking lot instead.
A crazy trip necessitated a nice lunchtime ginger ale and whiskey, with lounge passes courtesy of a friend. And cheese and baby carrots. (We also got some BBQ and scarfed that down shortly after taking our seats on the plane).
Side note: I really liked flying with Alaska Airlines. What a nice bunch - and they had Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea! It was especially fun seeing Seattle for the first time from the sky, because we essentially circled a good part of it, and on a clear day it was pretty much perfect.

One more post to go! See everyone here on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment