But if there was a contest for who has the hardest move, you guys - I think Matt and I would win.
We're not going across the street, to the next town, or even the next state over - this is some hardcore international moving action I'm talking about. Not even back to the East coast, but allllll the way over to the West coast.
Ugh.
The biggest headache has been the alcohol. Apparently it is not our new company's policy to ship any alcohol whatsoever in our household goods. Matt and I were pretty surprised at this, since we were used to the government move where they just pack up everything that's left out and send it on the boat...not so in the private sector.
After some diligent research by Matt, we did find a shipper to send our stuff to us, and it will show up (we think) to a dock in Seattle sometime... not sure exactly when yet.
And yes, it was expensive. About equal to the value of the shipment... but we were really adamant about bringing back part of our collection since we took so many trips and picked almost everything out individually, so we definitely justify the expense. We've been hard at work finishing off the rest of the collection with friends, and there's still more that we just have to give away. (We really had too much, but it's sad it's come to this).
Anyway, it's also been challenging to fit in time to organize all of our stuff for the actual packing and moving days since we've been traveling so much (let me get out my mini violin and play ya a sad song, because yeah, this is the totes worst situation to be in). It's certainly been challenging to make sure all the details are being taken care of since it's all a little different over here. German moving stuff, shipping stuff, work-related wrap-up stuff..... quite a lot to have on our plates at the moment. (And I'm still doing that degree thing as well.)
But anyway, by the time this post is live I'll be watching our movers pack our things into a truck to take it on a boat. Here's some footage from earlier in the week during one of our pre-packing breaks:
The alcohol getting ready to be shipped....plenty of champagne, delicious French and Italian bottles of wine, and a select assortment of Belgian and German beers.
Assorted boxes to be shipped (including clothes, gifts, etc).
All sorts of stuff.
The chaos of the office
TV in it's original box!
Luckily, Matt's piano had easy-to-understand instructions for putting the piano back into the box, so all he had to do was follow instructions.
I decided to move all the bathroom stuff into one of them so the packers didn't have to be in two different rooms.
The guest room was really a staging area of sorts... it's where all the stacks and piles of randomness ended up.
Ugh.
The biggest headache has been the alcohol. Apparently it is not our new company's policy to ship any alcohol whatsoever in our household goods. Matt and I were pretty surprised at this, since we were used to the government move where they just pack up everything that's left out and send it on the boat...not so in the private sector.
After some diligent research by Matt, we did find a shipper to send our stuff to us, and it will show up (we think) to a dock in Seattle sometime... not sure exactly when yet.
And yes, it was expensive. About equal to the value of the shipment... but we were really adamant about bringing back part of our collection since we took so many trips and picked almost everything out individually, so we definitely justify the expense. We've been hard at work finishing off the rest of the collection with friends, and there's still more that we just have to give away. (We really had too much, but it's sad it's come to this).
Anyway, it's also been challenging to fit in time to organize all of our stuff for the actual packing and moving days since we've been traveling so much (let me get out my mini violin and play ya a sad song, because yeah, this is the totes worst situation to be in). It's certainly been challenging to make sure all the details are being taken care of since it's all a little different over here. German moving stuff, shipping stuff, work-related wrap-up stuff..... quite a lot to have on our plates at the moment. (And I'm still doing that degree thing as well.)
But anyway, by the time this post is live I'll be watching our movers pack our things into a truck to take it on a boat. Here's some footage from earlier in the week during one of our pre-packing breaks:
The alcohol getting ready to be shipped....plenty of champagne, delicious French and Italian bottles of wine, and a select assortment of Belgian and German beers.
Assorted boxes to be shipped (including clothes, gifts, etc).
All sorts of stuff.
The chaos of the office
TV in it's original box!
Luckily, Matt's piano had easy-to-understand instructions for putting the piano back into the box, so all he had to do was follow instructions.
I decided to move all the bathroom stuff into one of them so the packers didn't have to be in two different rooms.
The guest room was really a staging area of sorts... it's where all the stacks and piles of randomness ended up.
I'm a lot better at living out of a suitcase after this entire European experience, but I know I won't be completely settled until I have all my things safely arrived in Seattle.
I'm so looking forward to this Wednesday being over, because I won't have to fret about getting my stuff out - all I'll need to do is worry about what to order at dinner! (ugh, and homework, I suppose... what a drag).
I can't believe it's happening!










No comments:
Post a Comment