Anyway, we drove down in the afternoon, checked into the hotel, had some awesome naps, and then walked across the street for some dinner. Matt and I could see an Indian restaurant from our room, and when we got there, we found they were doing a NYE buffet style meal. (We were a little worried at first since we didn't have a reservation, but eventually we were told it's OK to stay).
The food was really yummy and probably a good idea to have a fully stomach since we had an evening of drinking ahead.
After getting all glammed up, we got in a cab and headed over. With our VIP access, we even had a shorter line to get through. We took our coats to the coatroom and proceeded to the bar in the VIP lounge area.
We pretty much all stuck to Red Stag (bourbon/whiskey), ginger and lime - I'd never had that cocktail combo before but yum - the lime really made it.
Anyway, we just sort of hung out and people watched, and Joyce and I, while the boys got our drinks refilled, played with the stuff they had on the table. Because, you know, we're little kids.
Here's me with my handiwork.
Yay fun! People were totally looking at us, too. Probably wondering how in the world we got into the VIP lounge. But more likely that they were upset at not having thought of it first.
Soon we decided to check out the rest of the party and headed to the larger dance floor... I think the venue was really neat. It's actually part of an old Roman fort.
Everyone wasn't getting too rowdy, but the people watching was better (and with shorter skirts and higher heels, mymymy) out there.
When it just about midnight, we headed back into the lounge area and outside to watch the fireworks. All of Germany lights fireworks for NYE - and I mean just about every man, woman and child. If they can hold a Roman candle, they can light it. It's the only time of year when it's OK. (This also means that you hear them at all hours of the night and there is a high level of carnage in the street when it's all over, but I say let the Germans have their fun.)
After the bulk of the fireworks were over, we went back inside for our midnight snack they had setup for us - currywurst and Berliners. Yum and yum.
Being in the VIP area means you could also just ask for an entire bottle of booze at the bar. Up until now we opted to just go back for individual drinks, but decided maybe we should grab a bottle instead. Not wanting to change it up, we set up Chris for a bottle of the Red Stag.
Unfortunately they were out, and he returned with this: vodka and red bull.
But this wasn't just any red bull, it was some off-brand Turkish energy drink.
The verdict: The first sip wasn't good at all, but it got a little better.
I think these guys were drinking the same stuff - they were dancing all night!
We did some dancing too, then fumbled around getting a cab back, but we made it. A good time was had by our group, but looking on the Facebook page for the event, it looks like everyone who did not opt for the VIP did not have a good time at all. Common complaints were long lines for things, coach checking difficulties (I have yet to go somewhere where coats are handled with any order at all), etc. I don't know if I'd do it again next year or not - maybe just have a house party, sleepover, or marathon game night and check out the fireworks in Mainz.
When we returned home, the city was just littered with firework pieces everywhere. Quite a thing.
Happy 2014 everyone!
We pretty much all stuck to Red Stag (bourbon/whiskey), ginger and lime - I'd never had that cocktail combo before but yum - the lime really made it.
Anyway, we just sort of hung out and people watched, and Joyce and I, while the boys got our drinks refilled, played with the stuff they had on the table. Because, you know, we're little kids.
Here's me with my handiwork.
Yay fun! People were totally looking at us, too. Probably wondering how in the world we got into the VIP lounge. But more likely that they were upset at not having thought of it first.
Soon we decided to check out the rest of the party and headed to the larger dance floor... I think the venue was really neat. It's actually part of an old Roman fort.
Everyone wasn't getting too rowdy, but the people watching was better (and with shorter skirts and higher heels, mymymy) out there.
When it just about midnight, we headed back into the lounge area and outside to watch the fireworks. All of Germany lights fireworks for NYE - and I mean just about every man, woman and child. If they can hold a Roman candle, they can light it. It's the only time of year when it's OK. (This also means that you hear them at all hours of the night and there is a high level of carnage in the street when it's all over, but I say let the Germans have their fun.)
After the bulk of the fireworks were over, we went back inside for our midnight snack they had setup for us - currywurst and Berliners. Yum and yum.
Being in the VIP area means you could also just ask for an entire bottle of booze at the bar. Up until now we opted to just go back for individual drinks, but decided maybe we should grab a bottle instead. Not wanting to change it up, we set up Chris for a bottle of the Red Stag.
Unfortunately they were out, and he returned with this: vodka and red bull.
But this wasn't just any red bull, it was some off-brand Turkish energy drink.
The verdict: The first sip wasn't good at all, but it got a little better.
I think these guys were drinking the same stuff - they were dancing all night!
We did some dancing too, then fumbled around getting a cab back, but we made it. A good time was had by our group, but looking on the Facebook page for the event, it looks like everyone who did not opt for the VIP did not have a good time at all. Common complaints were long lines for things, coach checking difficulties (I have yet to go somewhere where coats are handled with any order at all), etc. I don't know if I'd do it again next year or not - maybe just have a house party, sleepover, or marathon game night and check out the fireworks in Mainz.
When we returned home, the city was just littered with firework pieces everywhere. Quite a thing.
Happy 2014 everyone!





No comments:
Post a Comment