Being from our Yelp-centric, peer-review driven generation, I started researching the three options, and also noting where they were in relation to my apartment. After several attempts at calling, I finally go through to the one I wanted. (Apparently dialing numbers in this country is not my strong suit).
I started in German explaining that I wanted an appointment but I only spoke a little German. I then asked if the doctor spoke English. (I didn't realize I was speaking to the doctor at this point). He said yes a little and then rattled on about this and that and so I not only realized that this WAS the doctor, but he also knew more than he thought.
(Germans are pretty modest about the amount of English they know, so if they say they only know a little, it probably means they are semi-conversational. When I say I know a little German, on the other hand, it means that you should point me to the youngest child in the room so I can perform closer to my language level).
Anyway, I showed up at 10am this morning and had my appointment. This guy is about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, so it's super close. He was really nice, too. In my entire life I've only had two other eye doctors, so I was happy to find his small practice was really similar to the two others I was used to. (I don't like changing doctors at all, so that's partly why I waited so long before getting this done). He doesn't have frames there, so I got a prescription for new glasses to take to a store if I want. I'm supposed to call on Tuesday to see if my trial contacts are in. If I like them, I'll order a round.
Phew. Relieved that it's over, now soon I'll have to move on to other doctor appointments, and the dentist.
I've only ever had ONE dentist, so that will be even stranger...
Yes! Europeans always want to apologize for their "poor English" when in fact they often speak it extremely well and about a million times better than my shoddy attempts at their language.
ReplyDelete