My first grad school class was pretty good. I was trying to get the hang of the school thing again, so tasks took me longer to do because I was so out of practice. I did manage to get an A, though, so my hard work paid off. Hopefully my next class, Business Ethics and Sustainability, will be easier and I'll be able to work smarter. My professor is actually a DC-area former lawyer, so I think she'll be good at relating to me and vice versa.
As for German, I'm over halfway done with the class and have been learning a lot. I even went around the apartment last week with Post-It notes and put them on a bunch of appliances and other furniture items after learning about them in class. I'd say the first two weeks were fairly easy and at a slow pace, but it has definitely picked up. All of a sudden we have a lot of vocabulary thrown at us and have to know the gender (masculine, feminine and neuter, ugh) in order to say it correctly. It's like learning to say "this," "that," or "one" three different ways, because English is simple like that (though difficult in other ways).
Not only do I have to study for my German test this week, but there's also a paper due in my grad school class. They don't mess around when the classes are only 8 weeks long. The formula for this and most of my future classes is: 25 points for a weekly discussion post, 90 points for a weekly paper, and 350 points for the final paper. The final paper is 35% of the final grade, and periodically throughout the course the instructor checks in on progress.
So yes, this week is pretty work-heavy. The good news is that it's super chilly outside, so I have plenty of incentive to lounge on the couch under a blanket with the laptop and write and study.
No comments:
Post a Comment