Monday, November 18, 2013

Saturday in Belgium

Hubby has a particular admiration for Val Dieu, an abbey located near Aubel in Belgium. Why?

Brewery. Outstanding brewery. It's his favorite beer, in fact, out of everything we've tried in Europe so far.

Some new folks joined hubby's group at work, so we and another car traveled over there for lunch and a look around. It takes about 2 hours, 45 minutes each way, so it was quite the long day. We like it though, and I think it's one of our favorite little trips to do with newbies.

To start, we got the tapas plate, a favorite choice:

Since it's so close to Christmas, they had a seasonal brew that everyone tried. I had one happy hubby!

For lunch, I had this vol au vent, a creamy chicken and mushrooms stew that was super delicious with fries on the side:

Hubby had this ham hunk with potatoes and a creamy dijon mustard. We all really like getting our potatoes in their own individual fryer-type thing.

After filling up, we walked around the grounds. We came upon this giant keg. It was really chilly, hence the hat and big coat.
Here's me in front of the abbey:

And then we walked through the park area. Still pretty despite the weather.





It was insanely misty and foggy, which was not ideal driving home (and guess who's turn it was to drive...) but we did stop at the Carrefour, the French supermarket chain, where we stocked up on more Belgian beers and other treats. (We got some at the Abbey, too).

Here's our beer collection, and there's still some left in the car! Note the seasonal Leffe, as well. Mmm...

Check out these chips! Carbonara, Pickle, Chicken, Cheeseburger and Mediterranean Herb? Yes please! We also got a refrigerated bag of melty chocolate that we can bake into individual molten lava cakes! I'm super excited to try those.

A fairly long day, but a nice change of pace and I got to speak some French. I found it more difficult this time around since my head has been filled with more German, but I got through it.

Speaking of which, one week left of class!

No comments:

Post a Comment