Friday, November 15, 2013

Cleaning is never ending!

Sorry for the late-ish post... I've been cleaning and tidying up the apartment. We've had stuff under the stairs forever, as well as random boxes in the guest room and I knew that dust bunnies were hiding.... and I was right. I took several loads of stuff down to the garage too, which is now combat zone #1 for clutter... when the weather gets nicer I'm going to have quite the time organizing that thing.

I've never been the KEEP ALL THE BOXES! kind of girl. Unfortunately, the hubby is. And while I can totally understand it for certain items like the TV that needs a special box, oh my gosh it feels out of control in that garage. It will make moving back a bit easier, but the OCD in me lies awake in bed at night thinking of all the kindling-in-waiting in the garage. I absolutely hate having extra stuff around that I have to clean, think, take care of, or otherwise worry about.

Anyway, back to the cleaning. You have to be constantly aggressive in cleaning in Germany, as most places don't have air systems inside, so the dust. just. sits. everywhere. I'm doing my best to preempt getting sick and being surrounded by dust and dirt with regular cleanings but ugh, it's so difficult. It's also hard to air out the place as it's getting chillier, and little bugs are all like, "oh sweet, thanks for keeping this window open for me! I'll come right in and veg out while you're preparing dinner."

Plus, I miss using my Dyson. Poor thing can't run on the power here, so it just sits under the stairs. I've heard that even if I plug it into the transformer it might not work when I take it back to the States. For some small appliances that's okay, but not for my precious Dyson. That was one of my first big purchases in my first apartment and I'm going to take care of it as long as I can.

Now I have this dinky little blue Bosch thing with wheels that follows me around. The suction just doesn't compare. Sorry Germans, but UK-based Dyson beats this hands-down, and there's no way I'm buying another vacuum over here only to have to sell it for half price when I leave. 

So yes. Very exciting here at the apartment. At least things are better now and instead of focusing on how dirty everything is, I can focus on finishing that grad paper due on Sunday. That's better, right?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment