Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I must be crazy....

I signed up for German language class, finally. I started on Monday. It's an intensive class, so it meets Monday-Friday, 8:45am-12:00pm. It lasts until November 25. (And yes, I will have class during American Thanksgiving - but it looks like we celebrate All Saints Day on Nov. 1).

I'm just finishing my last week of my first grad school class, and my next grad school class is scheduled to begin November 11, so I'll have a nice two weeks where I'm only taking German class. Then I'll have another two weeks where they overlap again.

The class is about 18 people, and only three, including me, are from the US. The rest are from all over the place - there are a bunch from Spain, two from Italy, even Bosnia, Israel, Somalia, Argentina and even Japan. The teacher only speaks German which is fine, because she shouldn't be expected to know however many languages everyone else speaks, and from what I gather she only speaks a little English anyway. Very patient, too - I like her so far.

On the first day we had to write our names on a card and introduce ourselves, then introduce others. Situated between two Spanish students, I had to really think about how I was supposed to pronounce their names correctly. Lucky for them, what's my name? Kim Jones. Easily the shortest and easiest in the class.

It's rough getting up early and actually going somewhere, but at the end I'm going to know lots more German, hopefully. We are supposed to get through 100 lessons so, at three hours a day for five weeks, that's a moderately steady pace. I'm super glad I won't have to worry about grad school for some of this, I'll definitely take advantage of extra study time.

Another good thing? Big windows and the sights of Fall:

No comments:

Post a Comment