Monday, June 24, 2013

Weinwanderung in Rüdesheim

"Weinwanderung" or wine walk/hike/wandering, is a fine way to spend a Saturday. Hubby and I joined some friends on the second Saturday in June to attend one at a nearby town. It was a good deal, too - 12 Euro gets you a 0.1 liter glass and a sampling at 10 stands over a 5k walk.

Here's the glass:



You even got a yellow card to take to each stand for a "stamp" so it was a clever passport-stamping system.




















Although rain threatened, it never came, and the weather turned out to be pretty perfect. Hubby and I made sure to have on plenty of sunscreen (since last time I got a pretty great farmer's burn-tan going on), and also bring tons of water.

(We also didn't bring the camera, so all the pictures here are from my phone.. in some shots you can still see how swollen the Rhine was from the flooding.)








We got plenty of snacks along the way as well. Here's hubby coming back with a bratwurst and roll.



Just relaxing and enjoying the day.....

































We were all doing just fine until we made friends with a few Germans at stand 9. All of a sudden there were more glasses of wine and that's when things got a little hazy.

For instance, I have very little memory being inside this building (that church from an earlier shot) and taking this picture:

































Oh well. We were hydrated and fed, and hubby and I decided to hang back afterwards and have dinner next to the Rhine before taking the train home to Mainz. We had grand plans to do this during the day (we started at 11:15am) and then hit up a festival in the evening, but, after about 7-8 hours of drinking, we were pretty spent.

Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment