On Saturday, Matt and I went with a group to one we had hit last year. We paid a fee upfront and got a little glass. The glass held .1 liters, and there were 10 stands setup. Let's do the math together...Since a bottle of wine only holds .75 liters, it means we could drink more than a bottle of wine for 12 Euro. And have a cute glass!
Preparations
Things to bring:
- Water bottles (it's a good idea to fill up that .1 liter glass between stands. This saved me, especially when everyone started taking turns buying bottles...)
- Sunscreen (you're walking through a vineyard, where obviously there are no trees. The summer sun in Germany is vicious! Matt and I lathered up before we left the house.)
- Hand sanitizer or towelettes (the bathrooms are porta-potties at some of the stands)
- Extra snack (I had a nice Larabar with me in case a stand didn't have something I wanted to eat)
- Extra cash (for snacks at the stands - Matt and I had a delicious spundekas and pretzels, and a cake at another stand)
- Hat and sunglasses (to go with the sunscreen- it was quite hot on Saturday so the hat was especially useful)
At the start you got your glass and your booklet. At each stand when you pick your wine they stamp it, so at the end you feel like you accomplished more than drinking more than a bottle of wine.
Pretty sweet dragon planter there.
View from one of the stands.
This kid had the right idea to cool off in this box of water. Plus he had his own lounge chair.
Luckily, at most of the stands there were tents to shade us temporarily before we ventured on further.
Here's me! I really like wine hikes when the weather is this good.
Pretty!
Even if you're starting to get a little tipsy on the hike, just look for the bright colored signs to show you the trail. Otherwise you'll end up walking aimlessly around the vineyard.
Hey, goats!
I very much enjoy unicorns, so I was quite excited to see a bottle featuring one.
Always a fun time :-)











Yay! I can comment now - thank you :) This looks like so much fun - I can't believe that in over 4 years here, I've never been on one of these. It must have been quite something in this heat...
ReplyDelete