I'm not just sitting around planning trips, you know. I'm learning valuable lessons that I can apply to the next job I have when I get back to the U.S.
10. I already have my company Halloween costume ready.
And an alternate:
9. I instinctively know what time it is in several time zones.
8. I'm experimenting with recipes so when that company potluck or contest comes around, watch out. I can also taste the difference between mediocre and amazing olive oil. (How do you do it, Italy?!)
(I'm also planning to experiment with a cinnamon chipotle chicken chili. Watch out future co-workers.)
7. My office is going to be the coolest. With pictures of castles, cities, mini Eiffel Towers and candies. Heck, there might be a mini fridge where I keep my work beer... I really hope that's cool in my next job.
6. Focusing on my M.S. degree means I will retain the information much better (than trying to do it while working at the same time). I'm not the fastest reader in the world, so having the time to actually sit down and retain information is pretty awesome.
5. I'm learning to be more flexible. Some things are just out of your control. Sometimes you have to get creative when you don't know the language or quirky cultural things. So yeah, not gonna get upset when something wacky happens at work.
4. Greater cultural awareness. Not just for Germans, but people from all over. My German language class only had two people from the U.S., and one of them was me! And you know what? Everyone is really smart in their own way, so it's pointless to be judgey if someone doesn't fit into the box of "correct" human being that you have in your head. I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt more often.
3. I don't take things as personally. It used to make me feel like slime when a German corrected my German, but they just want to help. Even if they didn't, I'm trying not to react like they're out to get me - they have issues of their own to deal with.
2. Nothing scares me. Except driving in small cities or anywhere in Italy. I also still don't like pulling out of our parking spot, but I'll do it if I need to.
1. I know that work isn't the most important thing. People aren't crazy workaholics here. They do plenty of work, don't get me wrong, and they are efficient and polite as they complete their tasks. But they know how to enjoy life - they sit outside, they relax, they do outdoorsy things. If I asked anyone here to tell me something about them, I don't think they would immediately state their profession because it doesn't define them. I definitely want to take that mentality back to the U.S. where everything seems to be about getting ahead of the next guy, and always looking toward the future good instead of taking time to look at the current good.
Instead, you've got to stop and enjoy your surroundings. Like Matt.





No comments:
Post a Comment