My bestest friend in the entire world, Nathan was there!
I've known Nathan since middle school, so a good more than half of my life. I haven't seen him since last July, so I was super excited we could meet up with him and his girlfriend, Sarah, who I hadn't met yet. They were coming from Vienna by train (about 2.5 hours) and we were hightailing it across Germany. After crossing the border Salzburg is the first major city.
Upon arrival, we first started with some lunch. Nathan and Sarah had heard about this wurst, the Bosna, that was supposed to be the best since it's from the area. So, we stood in a line....
And it was excellent. Bravo. It was gone before I could take a picture.
Next, we decided to check out the Fortress Hohensalzburg, which is this huge monstrosity that sits atop the city. Instead of taking the funicular up, we decided not to be lazy and walked up instead.
Some of us were a little enamoured to be in a fortress...
We all had to take multiple pictures, or pictures of us taking pictures....here is Nathan and Sarah. I've seen this shot from multiple angles now and it's super.
Oh, and there were pretty views as well.
They had a ton of fortress-y stuff and museum-like items inside. Along with views of the Alps. Those things were all over the skyline!
After exploring the "B" side, we wandered over to the "A" side where we got to climb to the tower for even better pictures.
A few of my dinos ventured out to take a look as well.
Aren't they cute?! (Sorry Nathan for that random person in the shot... next time I'll take the picture instead of Matt).
Nathan got a good one of us, too.
After exploring and taking the funicular back down, we stopped in a cafe for beers and a late lunch snack. We introduced them to the joys of goulash and dumplings, mmm.
Lastly, our travel buddies for the day told us about this Mozart chocolate ball that's also special to the area, and when we went to the store, they were kind enough to let us try one...
Upon enjoying it, we later came back for some more.
After having another drink, we parted ways, with them heading to the train station and us back to the car. I was volunteered to drive by Matt, who was really enjoying the beers. We were staying in Munich that night before driving back on Sunday, so it wasn't far (maybe an hour and a half?) But it was dark, started raining, and my contacts were causing my eyes to be super dry. (Side note: Europeans don't seem to use a bright white as lane markers... not cool).
Having said that, I'm SO happy we got to hang out! I hope they come visit us soon, this time with a direct flight to Germany.







No comments:
Post a Comment