We weren't to Lake Como yet, and had another day of driving ahead. Back on the road we went, into Switzerland. I took some more pictures today, feeling slightly better after getting through the worst of the mountain passes the day before.
Switzerland is super pretty... at some point we stopped for lunch, again in this expensive country. I got to sample delicious Alpine cottage cheese with my chicken salad, mmm! Still wasn't worth 25 Swiss Francs, though...
Soon after pulling out of this lake, the Focus took the lead in our caravan. This is only because when we finally caught up with our Saturn and Honda convertibles, we were coming around a turn quickly and couldn't pull over where they had stopped. We stopped a few miles (or kilometers?) down and were just pulling out as they were rounding a turn.
See that truck and SUV ahead? Hubby made a huge move and passed them. Both. At the SAME time, to the shock of the rest of our car team. The Focus can do things, too - take THAT, convertibles!
Rear view mirror shot... after we passed the truck they were stuck way behind as we traveled through a small town, unable to pass.
Enough of this Focus, they said....
Now that all was right with the universe, we pulled over again a bit farther up on our way to another pass.
Apparently this WAS the San Bernardino Pass (which I thought was yesterday and have adjusted my previous post to reflect) and it wasn't nearly as crowded as what we drove through the day before. As an added bonus, since it wasn't as high, we didn't have to just take steep turns the entire way - they had longer shots of road between the switchbacks.
We kept going a little higher and found some even better views.
Rocky awesomeness.
Don't look down!
(Don't worry, he's plenty safe)
I was glad I wore long pants and actual shoes today, it was plenty chilly way up there. We could also hear cow bells and mooing in the distance.
We decided to keep going around this pass despite Google's urging that we go back the way we came. Google is so smart - it definitely added significant time to our trip by ignoring this, and also got a few of us lost, but eventually we got ourselves together and made it to our Bed and Breakfast. Luckily, our proprietor made us a dinner reservation at a restaurant next to the lake, my beloved Lake Como.
It was absolutely delicious. Most of us got pizza. I got pasta and pizza because I can't resist either when I'm in Italy. Oh, and a bunch of us got panna cotta for dessert :-)
And cheap! Eight Euro for a liter of wine? Yes please... then we stumbled back to the B&B and crashed, the guys especially looking forward to not driving the next day. Hubby was tired from driving an automatic so I can't imagine the leg soreness experienced by our convertible drivers.
Hooray Lake Como!
It was absolutely delicious. Most of us got pizza. I got pasta and pizza because I can't resist either when I'm in Italy. Oh, and a bunch of us got panna cotta for dessert :-)
And cheap! Eight Euro for a liter of wine? Yes please... then we stumbled back to the B&B and crashed, the guys especially looking forward to not driving the next day. Hubby was tired from driving an automatic so I can't imagine the leg soreness experienced by our convertible drivers.
Hooray Lake Como!
No comments:
Post a Comment