Friday, April 12, 2013

Prague: Day Four

Time to leave! I didn't take any pictures but we did tons. As is true of any vacation, the last day was the sunniest just before we left. We were going to take our time and hit the town of Plzeň on our way back, but not before a fancy fancy breakfast at the lovely Cafe Louvre in Old Town. Talk about yum - a super tasty cappuccino with delicious ham, cheese, a boiled egg, bread, and apple cake. The rest of the table got similar items.

The girls trekked back up all the stairs one last time to the apartment for our bags while the boys went to get the car. Soon we were on our way to Plzeň (or Pilsen) which is an hour away but on the way home.

After parking, we decided to climb the tower in the St. Bartholomew Cathedral in square in the middle of the town. There were 301 steps to get to the very top but we were rewarded with awesome views. On the way up we even got to see the huge bell, and there was plenty of descriptions of the history of the Cathedral as we went along.

We then proceeded to the Patton Memorial Museum. Hubby was most interested in going here, and I have to say it was a pretty impressive little museum. Patton's 3rd army liberated the town, hence the museum. I always like having museums free of crowds so this was a treat - we had the place all to ourselves. There was a huge variety of WWII items including clothing, chains from tanks, personal toiletry items, informational booklets for soldiers (Essential Russian Phrases, for example), and they even had some veterans sign their names in recent years near their photos on the wall. Very cool place.

On the way to the Pilsen Brewery Museum, we stopped to get some meat pies, which in Australia and New Zealand is a huge deal. Our Kiwi travel partner said they were pretty good. I had one which closely resembled a chili pie - it really hit the spot and I was full until we were almost home.

After this we went to the Pilsen Brewery Museum (we had wanted to tour the actual brewery, but unfortunately we underestimated how far away it was from the museum). No worries - another museum where we were free to roam around without crowds! At the end of the tour we had cards for a free beer, their famous Pilsner. I still don't like it, so I only had about half. We soon hopped back into the car and headed home.

And so, we ended our first Euro road trip. Things I'll remember: several flights of stairs, the influence of Ikea, how smart Czechs are, the goulash, how cold it was, peacocks, Easter eggs, and Pozor (the Czech word for danger).

With that, I'll leave you with a teaser picture from our new apartment - we just got the keys on Wednesday :-) This is one of three (three!) balconies:



No comments:

Post a Comment