There's a new burger place in town, called Bully's Burger. Their original location is in Frankfurt, and this branch is a short walk from our apartment, and is actually located in the center of a street close to the train station. I was immediately drawn to it because of its adorable mascot, the bulldog. Their Facebook page is chock full of the sweet, sweet puppydog.
The Mainz location is a super small shop, and Matt and I had previewed the menu online before heading over so we knew what we were doing. Within a few sentences, the guy taking our order asked if we wanted to switch to English (which was nice to ask since most people just switch without asking).
Matt ordered the Mariachi Burger, which had cheese, arugula, tomato, cucumber/pickles, red onion, jalapenos, tortilla, chili sauce, ketchup and mayo. Plus sweet potato fries with an aioli sauce.
Me? I went for the New York Burger: cheese, bacon, fried egg (!!!), some kind of cabbage slaw mix, tomato, onion, cucumber/pickles, BBQ sauce, ketchup and mayo. And also sweet potato fries with the aioli sauce.
Matt and I decided to take our food back home and eat, and that was the right call. There was absolutely no need to be seen in public as I made a 100% mess of myself as I ate this monstrosity. (So sorry for only one picture - Matt was into his before I could get one.) It was similar to other burgers we've had here in that the structural integrity of the bun became compromised with the juicy toppings. I myself had the problem of the bottom bun falling apart close to the end (even though I was shoving it in my mouth rather quickly). And yes, I did cut the thing in half.
The verdict: Matt liked his burger, but not the topping combo. He polished off all his fries and scraped the last bits of aioli clean too. He'd go back.
As for me, I'm still dreaming about this burger. I hadn't had a great burger in a looooong time. I don't think I can ever NOT have a fried egg on top anymore. Next time if I go with other people who would see me eat, I'd probably go for the cheeseburger which would yield a less-messy Kim. The fries were really good too, and you don't see sweet potato fries everywhere. Next time we could certainly split an order of fries, as I couldn't finish mine.
But this NY burger is perfect for those times you are going to eat by yourself in a ravenous and dizzying "MY PRECIOUS" sort of way that nobody wants to see. Just remember to wear a shirt made of paper towels.

No comments:
Post a Comment